Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 2 on Pre-Paleo

Day 2 of Pre-Paleo was good as far as food and no-cravings went, but I received a screaming headache around 3:30 in the afternoon.  At first I attributed the headache to low blood sugar, even though I had snacks to tide me over until my lunch break. However, it wasn't until after finished lunch that my headache set in.  So, if it was low blood sugar, I do not understand why it set in after I ate lunch.  I'll start from the beginning, so I can get an accurate reading on where I went wrong. 

For breakfast at 7 am, I ate two eggs scrambled with red bell pepper and chicken seasoned with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and fresh oregano. Mmmm, even better than my eggs on day one. 

At noon I was feeling the hunger pangs, so I ate an apple, some celery sticks with almond butter and a handful of local strawberries.  At 2 pm I had another handful of local strawberries thinking that I would be good, but by 3 pm I was starving and craving an actual meal.  So, just after 3 pm I sat down to enjoy my lunch.

For lunch, I had a salad with chicken, cucumber, feta cheese (I am all out of feta cheese, so worry no more), dried cranberries and black beans with apple cider and olive oil for dressing.  Unless I pick and dry my own cranberries, I will have to ditch those from my salads.  

Just after finishing my salad, I started feeling the onslaught of a headache and by 5 pm it was slammed in my face. I could barely keep my eyes open at that point. It wasn't until I got home at 5:30 that I took Ibuprofen, a nap and about an hour later I was good to go. 

For dinner around 7pm I made a new dish out of a primal approved cookbook I am borrowing from my parents. I made Spice-rubbed grilled pork and carrots. One thing about attempting this diet, I have excuse to try new foods with which I never dare to cook.  Pork is one item I very rarely buy; maybe once a year.  I have also never grilled carrots or pork for that matter. The rub I made was with butter, cumin, cinnamon and chile powder mix. I rubbed that all over the carrots and pork then placed them right over the flame on the grill. I grilled each side for about 5 minutes with the grill cover open. When that was done, I moved the food to a cooler section of the grill, closed the lid and let them cook for additional three to five minutes. Viola! The pork was cooked to perfection, but the thicker carrot pieces should have been cooked longer. 

In any case, it was a completely delicious and filling meal.  Usually, after dinner I crave something sweet, but the cinnamon in the rub was a sufficient sugar fix. 

As long as I can keep my fridge and pantry filled with Paleo-friendly food, so I don’t snack on Justin’s snack food, I think I am going to like this way of eating.

Until day 3 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment