Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 3 Pre-Paleo

For breakfast I had the same as day 2, but I added half an avocado. For lunch, I had the same salad, except without the dried cranberries and feta cheese.  For snacks I had Almond butter (instead of peanut butter) with celery sticks and carrots with hummus.  For dinner, I experimented with cauliflower and mashed them with a little butter and heavy cream. I didn't use very much of either and it was plenty of flavor, so I plan to use less of each next time.  I wasn't able to get it as smooth as mashed potatoes, but I have to admit that I prefer mashed cauliflower over potatoes.  I did add in a treat for dessert, which was a cup of strawberries with less than a table spoon of heavy cream. 

According to the Paleo book I am reading, coconut milk is the best substitute for dairy; it recommends getting it in a can.  However, I am having a difficult time finding that in the store.  I will have to check out Trader Joe's or the COOP this weekend, so that I am prepared next week.  Another substitute for dairy is Almond milk, but since it has a large amount of omega-6 fat in it, it is not as good for you as coconut.  

Since I have stopped eating processed sugar (I guess aside from the dried cranberries), crackers, rice, cheddar cheese, bread and such I have noticed a difference in how I feel. I don't feel bloated and I have been more focused at work, with fewer bursts of energy and sugar crashes.  I can only imagine it gets better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment