Monday, July 8, 2013

What's changed in two weeks

I have never cooked this many meals of this variety in such a short amount of time. It may not seem like much to some, but for me it's a whole new world.  And I'm lovin' it!!

NEW FOODS/MEALS:
Cauliflower Puree with Poached Eggs
Grilled pork chops and carrots with cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and butter rub
Kale Pesto
Spaghetti Squash Omelet with Kale pesto
Pecan Crusted Chicken
Zesty Steak Salad-Olive oil, red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard dressing
Kale Chips
Spaghetti Squash with Kale Pesto and smoked salmon

For the first few weeks of Paleo I was making scrambled eggs with chicken and vegetables. Though I am not sick of that meal, I really enjoyed the change this morning with the Spaghetti Squash Omelet.  What I like about using the squash for breakfast is that now I have a good start to what I will make for dinner.  

Over the weekend I read a lot about which vitamins are best for the skin, how they help, in which foods they are most prominent and which supplements I should be taking if any. So, I will be sure to write a blog summarizing what I learned. 

To wrap up week 2 of Paleo, I have to note that while my skin is not perfect, it is making good progress. I am still experiencing some daily breakouts, but the pain is lessening and I can see that the inflammation is going down. However, there are still bumps and redness.  I have also noted that the change is progressing down from my upper jaw and cheek area toward my  lower jaw and chin.  From my understanding, breakouts in the lower jaw and chin area are driven by hormones, so I figure, as I get my hormone levels balanced, this area will be the very last to clear up. 

Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night or in the morning because your ear was hurting from sleeping on it for too long or incorrectly? Well, if not ...then I don't know what to say... but if so, then you will understand this next part, maybe. For awhile there I would wake up in the middle of the night from the pain of sleeping on my breakouts. I would have to get up for an ice pack, so that my face would relax and to decrease the inflammation. (I am sorry if that's gross, but if you are reading this then you are either currently living with acne, have lived with it or just interested for whatever reason.) Anyhoo, my point is, I haven't experienced this for over a week. :) I'm taking that as a positive sign; something must be working properly.

Aside from aiding my acne, I think following Paleo is helping with my moodiness, irritability and any other hormonal ups and downs I experience regularly. Over this last week I noticed that I have felt more consistently relaxed, focused and happy. It is hard for me to imagine that just changing my diet has made this difference, but I have read and heard that carbohydrates (the bad ones) do affect your hormones which in turn impact your mood. So, I will give this argument some credit.  Though I didn't start this diet for the possible mental health benefits, I wanted to let readers, who are looking for something in that arena, know that cutting out bad carbs and dairy may be beneficial for them.

All in all, I have witnessed no negative changes thus far in the process of eating Paleo.

No comments:

Post a Comment